Friday, June 26, 2009

Twisted Mourning

This week the world lost 3 icons from the entertainment world. For me personally, it was a time that allowed me to remember growing up, and bumping into a star.

Last night as I watched the coverage of the loss of Michael Jackson I was torn. Yes, the man is truely an icon. He changed the music world and well besides Elvis there was no one like him, no one with that iconic status. He was an innovator, dancer and singer that changed the face of music. He personally was weird. Music was great, but personally he had demons. He was different. I loved his music though, As a child it was about the Jackson 5, and well Thriller, Billie Jean and more were the songs of my teen years. I watched the videos on Utube last night with Roo, and introduced her to his music. It was neat to watch a new generation come to know him. She loved the zombies of Thriller.

Then we talked about Farrah Fawcet and how pretty she was and how every girl wanted to have hair like her but me. My sister had the Farrah cut for years. We talked about Charlie's Angels. We talked about how she battled cancer just like grandma. We talked about courage.

Earlier in the week, when Ed McMahon died I was moved to tears, why? I got to meet the man on more then one occasion. I lived in LA for part of my young adulthood, actually I lived on Venice Beach, but that is a story for another day. I dated a great guy who was a sound tech on a certain tv show. While out for lunch Mr. McMahon sat down at the table next to mine. It seemed somehow he knew my date. The two men talked and I was introduced. Mr McMahon was the simply the nicest gentleman. We would meet again on the set of Star Search a couple of months later and again he was simply a very kind and generous man. I also got to see him and Johnny together as I went to see them tape a show. It was magical to watch the chemistry.

All 3 will be missed. I know for me each of these people made me smile. Made me laugh. Made me sing and want to dance. Thank you each for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment